The toxins produced by the bacteria (cyanotoxin) can cause skin irritation such as rashes, hives, swelling or blisters. Consuming raw water that contains these toxins can cause liver damage. This may occur during recreational activities such as swimming. Due to their smaller size and tendency to drink lake water, pets can suffer more detrimental effects including death. Children too should be cautioned not to drink water out of the lake.
View our Health Effects and Precautions page to learn more.