- Wear protective clothing, gloves, respirator, and eye protection (goggles or face shield).
- Fix the source of the water/moisture problem.
- Begin cleanup by removing all moldy materials including sheetrock, wood products, carpeting, ceiling tiles, and any other porous material. Bag and throw away all the moldy materials.
- Allow the area to dry for three days.
- Clean the area using a stiff brush or cleaning pad along with a non-ammonia detergent. Rinse or vacuum the area.
- Disinfect the entire area using diluted household chlorine bleach (1.5 cups of chlorine bleach per gallon of water).
Never mix bleach with ammonia - the vapors are toxic!
Caution: Bleach vapors can irritate the eyes, nose, and throat. Always make sure the working area is well-ventilated. Wear gloves when using disinfectants like bleach.
Please be advised that for large areas of mold (greater than ten square feet), you may want to hire a mold remediation specialist.